Monday 8 September 2008

2004 NZ, Tahiti & SE Asia

Photobucket

View Larger Map

With Mars having never been to New Zealand I was keen to show her the beauty of the place. I figured that I ran out of time there last time with heaps of treks still on my itinerary. So I wanted to get the maximum out of my time there now by doubling the time spent there this time. Unfortunately the weather and my health didn’t want to play their part.

Photobucket
We started with a simple trek firstly to get into shape. I chose to walk the St James’ Walkway again. I made that my first trek last time as well, and found it perfect to get into it. But this time I injured my knee there being a bit to zealous. It was going to play up during the whole trip in the end.

Photobucket
NZ had heaps of backcountry huts which means you don’t need to bring a tent to go trekking.

Photobucket

Photobucket
It’s just perfectly setup for this kind of stuff.

Photobucket
There is plenty to see just from the side of the road. This is Otago.

Photobucket
We went about by hitchhiking, which is very easy there.

I made a tiny little mistake with the budget by not allowing for contingency funds for things like injuries. The idea was to stay in the backcountry huts which is dirt cheap on an annual pass. But due to my injury I couldn’t walk much and because the rangers kick you out of the huts if you stay for more than 2 nights, we were forced to stay in hostels and other expensive accommodation. This blew the budget out pretty quickly. Luckily Queenstown was having some staffing problems. So we went there and applied for a housekeeping job in a 4 star hotel. After not too long we got sick of that, so we went to work at Subway restaurant. We didn’t last too long there either, but we made enough to sit out our time in NZ until we were going to fly out to Tahiti.

Luckily for us Queenstown very pretty if the weather is right.
Photobucket
Lake Wakatipu
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket
The founder and his best mate. How Kiwi is that?

To spend the time we travelled around the South Island to take in all the hot spots.
Photobucket
Franz Joseph glacier

Photobucket
Milford Sound

Photobucket
The fjords
Photobucket
Just amazing the carving power that those glaciers have.

We did do one 2 day trek still. The Croesus Track. It’s still one of the best I’ve done because of the time spent above the tree line.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The Tasman Sea is on the other side of the fog.

Photobucket
Warming up next to the stove.

Photobucket
What goes up must come down.

Our flight and our friends were in Auckland, so we had to make our way over to the North Island as well. I prefer the South Island over the North.

Photobucket
Mount Ngauruhoe is an active volcano.

Next stop was Tahiti.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Moorea Island is one of the many islands that make up Tahiti.

Photobucket
The accommodation isn’t too shabby. Talked US$100 off this one. But that still left heaps to pay.

From Tahiti we flew to Kuala Lumpur the Malaysian capitol via Australia on our way to London to be a bit closer to my family.

Photobucket
The Petronas Towers. Once the tallest building in the world.

Having already travelled some of the northern part of South East Asia, I wanted to see some of the southern part. So we aimed to travel to Krabi in Thailand. It was very beautiful, but on this stretch of the trip I decided that I had enough of backpacking and wanted to start riding a motorbike around instead.

Photobucket
Photobucket
The famous limestone peaks sticking out of the water at Ao Nang near Krabi.